Published November 14, 2023
By Storm Contributor
The Minnesota Storm Greco team is set to make a splash at the Bill Farrell International Tournament on November 15th, with a dynamic roster that includes both seasoned veterans and rising stars.
The Stakes: The Bill Farrell International serves as a critical stepping stone for these athletes as they vie for the opportunity to represent the United States at the 2024 Olympic Trials. With only one spot available per weight class for the highest placing American in the top 4, the competition will be fierce, and the Storm is gearing up to punch their ticket to State College early.
Meet the Contenders:
1. Dylan Gregorson (60 kg): Making his debut with the Storm, after moving to Minnesota
from Utah Valley, Gregorson brings a fresh perspective and a hunger for success to the
60 kg weight class after finishing 4 th on the World Team ladder at 63 kg in 2023.
2. Paxton Creese (60 kg): After finishing his collegiate career at St. Cloud State, Creese is
stepping onto the senior level for the first time. He is poised to make a statement in a
highly competitive weight class after a successful prep career and strong performance at
last year’s U23 Nationals.
3. Joseph Dashou (67 kg): Dashou, a long-time member of Storm, will use the Farrell a
launching point in his attempt to make the Canadian Olympic Team. His technical
prowess and strategic approach make him a formidable contender in the 67 kg category.
4. Justin Kopet (67 kg): Relatively new to Greco after competing at Augsburg University,
Kopet has made large improvements and adds depth to the Storm’s lineup in the 67 kg
5. Alec Ortiz (77 kg): Ortiz, the veteran of the group, can never be ruled out. His
determination and unorthodox style make him someone you can never count out in the
77 kg division.
6. Rudy James (77 kg): At the age of 46, James keeps getting better. Coming off a gold
medal performance in Veterans Freestyle World Championships last month, he is sure
to bring excitement to the 77 kg category.
7. Lukas Poloncic (87 kg): Poloncic competed at 82 kg in last year’s US Open. The
Augustana National Qualifier moves up to the 87 kg Olympic category and is excited to
8. Fritz Schierl (87 kg): Also returning to the mat in a new weight class is Ohio State
University Alumni Fritz Schierl, who looks to show his strength and hard work.
9. Richard Carlson (87 kg): A returning national team member, Carlson aims to improve
upon last year’s Bill Farrell runner up finish and make his mark in the 87 kg category.
10. Christian Rouleau (87 kg): Rouleau drops down from where he competed last year at 97
kg and is hungry to punch his ticket to Olympic Trials
11. Donny Longendyke (130 kg): A returning national team member and Pan Am
Representative, Longendyke anchors the team in the heavyweight division, bringing
power and experience while looking to improve upon last year’s second place finish.
As the Minnesota Storm Greco team converges on the New York Athletic Club in the heart of New York City, the anticipation is palpable. With a mix of seasoned competitors and emerging talents, the Storm is poised to navigate the challenges of the Bill Farrell International, seeking not only individual success but also the chance to secure their spot in the journey towards the 2024 Olympics. Wrestling enthusiasts can expect a thrilling display of skill, determination, and heart from this dynamic squad on November 15th.