Pat Smith calls himself a “product of the Minnesota Storm foundational program.” Smith has been involved with the MTC for a while and has enjoyed great success so far in his career.
Smith began his wrestling career at Chaska High School, where he was a five-time state entrant. He placed third as a Junior and second as a Senior. He was a two-time Junior Nationals All-American before continuing his wrestling career at the University of Minnesota.
Smith won a University national title his freshman year at the U, then placed fourth and eighth in the U.S. Open the next two years respectively. After qualifying for an Olympic redshirt and taking a year off to train for the Olympic trials, he returned to the MTC to compete in the U.S. Open in the spring of 2014. Since he has made 3 World Teams, won 4 Pan American Championships and 1 Pan American Games, and has been on 8 National Teams.
When he’s not wrestling, Smith is spending time outdoors and playing guitar.
High school wrestling highlights:
- 5-time MSHSL state entrant
- MSHSL state tournament 2nd and 3rd
- NHSCA all American
- 2-time Junior Nationals Greco all American
College wrestling highlights:
- University of Minnesota student-athlete 4-year letter winner
- 2-time academic all Big Ten
Greco Roman wrestling highlights:
- 2022 Pan American Champion- Acapulco, Mexico- 72 kg
- 2021 World Team Member- Oslo, Norway- 72 kg
- 2019 Pan American Games Champion- Lima, Peru- 77 kg
- 2019 World Team Member- Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan- 77kg
- 2017 World Team Member- Paris, France- 71 kg
- 2017 Pan American Champion (Brazil)
- 8-time U.S. National Team Member (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022)
- 2015 Pan American Championships Champion (Chile)
- 2015 U.S. Open National Championships finalist
- 2014 University World Championships silver medal (Hungary)
- 2014 U.S. World Cup Team Member (Iran)
- 2014 University Greco World Team Member
- 2014 U.S. Open National Championships finalist
- 2014 U.S. Senior World Team Trials finalist
- 2-time University Nationals Champion
- 2-time University National Championships freestyle All-American